Grid Tied PV Solar Panel System
Features, Advantages & Disadvantages of Grid Tied Solar
Grid Tied Solar Panel System – Features
- Solar Panels are fixed to the roof. They then separate the electrons from the photons using the photoelectric effect. Then the electrons are readily available to be used as electricity. However, the electricity is in the form of direct current or DC electricity.
- Electricity Conversion. DC electricity is an electrical current that DC batteries and automobiles use. However, your home and the electrical grid use alternating Current or AC electricity. Therefore the electricity needs to be converted from DC electricity to AC electricity.
- Photovoltaic Solar Inverter is the device that is used to convert your DC electricity production into usable AC electricity. There are three main types of inverter systems used in the market today and they can have a significant effect on the performance of your pv solar energy system. For the three main types of systems you can see there review here.
- After the photovoltaic solar inverter converts the DC electricity to AC electricity it is now ready to be used as energy in your home and ready to be fed to the electrical grid.
- The Inverter is connected to your electrical box using a 220v AC output and also connected to the grid with a special Net Meter installed by your local power company.
- The electricity that is fed to the grid is monitored by a special meter that the electric company will install. This meter will monitor electricity pumped into the grid as well as electricity used by the grid. This process is called Net Metering.
Grid Tied Solar Panel System – Advantages
- Doesn’t require battery backup system
- Solar Panels System can be designed based on your average energy consumption. In Orlando and Florida this is important because of the wide range of energy consumptions needs because the very hot summer often require nearly double the amount of energy than the cooler non summer months. The overall effect is that you will need a smaller size solar energy system because you are measuring for average usage versus maximum loads.
- You are able to sell excess energy back to your local power company. So you are able to produce all of the electricity that you will need during the day and sell all of the electricity that you don’t use back to the power company for use later in the day when the sun is down or for future use.
- Most affordable system to take advantage of the benefits of Solar Energy.
Grid Tied Solar Panel System – Disadvantages
- No power production during a power outage. One of the points in the Net Metering agreement with your local power company is that when there is a power outage they control an emergency shut off switch which will temporarily disconnect your PV solar panel system from the grid. There is one Inverter manufacturer that offers a switch to disconnect from the grid and continue to use the solar power generated for your home or business. This photovoltaic inverter is called the Sunny Boy.
- You are subjected to an electrical grid connection fee. All power company customers are subjected to this fee if they utilize solar energy or not.